As thousands of Stuart real estate owners are already aware, you don’t have to use chemicals to have a beautiful lawn. In fact, your lawn will be much healthier if you ban the use of chemicals. In addition, chemicals can poison soil and contaminate water, as well as harm a handful of living creatures. At least now you can rely on the following tips to get your lawn off drugs.
- Remove weeds by hand. It’s the best type of weed control. Eighty percent of all weeds are annuals. If you remove them before they go to seed, you will be rid of them. If some weeds in your lawn are perennials, dig out the entire root system to ensure they can’t grow back.
- Tolerate beneficial weeds, such as clover. The nitrogen magic plant can actually enhance the overall health and beauty of a homeowner’s lawn.
- Test your lawn’s soil, using a soil test kit. This will tell you how much organic matter is in the soil, the pH balance and what nutrients to obtain a perfect soil balance.
- If your lawn has bare spots, reseed with a mixture of grass varieties. Most diseases that infiltrate your lawn are very selective. By using a mixture of grasses, you will ensure that your lawn will not be totally wiped out by disease.
- Aerate to prevent the soil from becoming compacted. You will also break through the heavy thatch.
- Grass should always be two to three inches high around homes for sale in Stuart. Only cut a third of the height at one time to prevent grass from going into shock. It’s imperative that the mower blade is always sharp to prevent grass damage. Tall grass grows longer roots, shades the soil and prevents weed infiltration.
- Martin County residents always use natural fertilizers. They release nutrients into the soil and allow it to retain them longer. Organic fertilizer decomposes thatch and grass clippings quickly. Sheep manure is one of the best natural fertilizers available.
- Only worry about watering your grass when it must be done. When that time comes, water deeply. If you water frequently and lightly, your lawn will have shallow roots, which makes it more susceptible to disease and insects. If water runs off easily, it’s a sign that you need to aerate.
- Do not remove grass clippings. Not only does your lawn require less raking, but the clippings act as a natural fertilizer when they aren’t coated with chemicals.
- Do not use herbicides or pesticides. I don’t think you really want to kill off any birds or insects, no matter how annoying they can be.
- South Floridians should remember to welcome beneficial microorganisms and earthworms to their lawns, as well as dragonflies, ladybugs, spiders, toads, and frogs. Even if you don’t want them anywhere near you, these creatures are the secret to having a healthy and drug-free lawn.
When it comes to the lawn in your Stuart luxury home, remember to make Nancy Reagan proud by just saying “No” to drugs.
About Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Realty:
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Realty serves 19 counties throughout Florida with over 40 locations and approximately 1,800 Sales Professionals. The full-service brokerage company, founded in 1999, is a subsidiary of Lennar Corporation, a Fortune 500 company and is a franchise member of the Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices’ network, one of the few organizations entrusted to use the world-renowned Berkshire Hathaway name. The company offers residential and commercial services as well as seasonal rentals, property management, REO & Foreclosures, corporate relocations, referral services, title, home service plans, and personal concierge services. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Realty ranks in the Top 10 in the network among 42,000 Sales Professionals, 1,200 offices throughout 47 states. The company is the overall No. 1 fundraiser for The Sunshine Kids Foundation, having generated more than $3.37 million since 2001. Visit www.BHHSFloridaRealty.com.